Running your own business can feel like a whirlwind sometimes. Between client work, working on your business, and trying to fit in time for family and friends, it's easy to let self-care take a back seat. But it's so important to the success of your business and your own fulfillment. You can't help others from an empty tank.
Here are 4 of my favorite tools for staying healthy as a business owner: *These are not affiliate links, just tools I love!
Headspace is an app for guided meditation. I've tried a variety of guided meditations before, but I connected best with this one.
Meditation is the perfect partner for entrepreneurs because it can:
- Improve productivity at work
- Improve creative thinking
- Lower blood pressure / promote relaxation
- Help with insomnia
- Lower anxiety
Those are just a few of the benefits of meditation, of course. If you're interested in learning more from a modern perspective, I highly recommend the book 10% Happier by Dan Harris.
I don't think I need to tell you guys why it's important to exercise. However, not only is it good for your body, but the increased blood flow to your brain will help in a multitude of ways for your business. Plus, there's a good chance that you sit for long hours in front of the computer each day, so you need to get the blood flowing.
Yoga is one of my favorite ways to move because it can help balance out your mind and your body. I have a new-found love for acroyoga because it's the only exercise that has been able to completely keep me in the moment. When I'm focused on balancing my body and moving through the air with the support of someone else, there is literally no room in my brain to think about anything else.
I can't always make it to a yoga class, though, so I often use online videos. Reflexionyoga.com has been my favorite so far because I can filter through and find a class that fits what I'm in the mood for.
You can get to know the founder Kyle Weiger in this Chasing Dreams Interview.
3. Fitbit Flex
I've been using my Fitbit Flex for nearly 2 years and still love it. I've even kept it on through important business presentations and events. It's basic enough that I don't feel weird wearing it in any situation.
A few ways I use my Fitbit Flex:
- Steps - It was pretty eye-opening to see how little I was walking some days. It's too easy to get caught up sitting in front of the computer working. I can't say I meet my goal most days (10k steps) but I've been improving.
- Alarms - I set an alarm to go off every hour throughout the work day to remind myself to get up and move.
- Water Intake - The default goal in the app is 64 oz, but I upped mine to 85 oz. By tracking my water I've been able to figure out my ideal hydration level.
- Sleep - I usually forget to track my sleep, and when I do it's always alarming how many times I'm restless and awake through the night, but at least it's a good reminder to keep exercising, meditating and focusing on self-care.
Reading is my favorite way to unwind. I think everyone should take time to read fiction or something outside their normal industry daily, or at least weekly.
Benefits of reading fiction:
- Improves empathy
- Enhances connectivity in the brain
- Improves your writing
- Enhances memory
- Boosts analytical thinking
- Reduces stress
In the Comments:
What are your favorite tools for staying healthy as an entrepreneur?