A refreshing green smoothie is by far my favorite way to start the day. Not only is it delicious, but green smoothies can be serious nutrition power-houses if assembled correctly. They provide a boost of energy, plus a great way to sneak in nutrients you might be lacking during the day. It's ideal to make your smoothie 70% veggies and 30% fruits to cut back on the sugar. I like to add extra ingredients like flax seed for the omega-3 fatty acids and green powder for a variety of goodies like wheat grass, spirulina, etc.
- 2 hand fulls of spinach
- 1 cucumber
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- Coconut water
- Filtered water
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1 tbsp green powder
- Place spinach, flax seed + green powder in blender with about 2 inches of water or coconut water
- Blend until smooth
- Slowly add remaining chopped ingredients, blending and adding water as needed
- Add ice if desired to thicken and make colder
Makes about 20 oz, which I split into 2.5 smoothies. Store in an air tight container for up to 2-3 days. The sooner you drink it, the better and more nutritious, though!
- Coconut water is great for hydration, but often has a lot of sugar, so I keep this to a minimum and add regular filtered water.
- Mixing the ingredients slowly, starting with the greens, is a nice trick to make sure everything is blended. This probably isn't necessary if you have a good blender, but mine was about $30 and is about 7 years old.
Here are a few other fun ingredients to try: +Your favorite protein powder +Hemp seeds for protein +Chia seeds for energy and protein +Bananas for a thicker consistency +Maca powder to regulate hormones +Avocado for healthy fats and protein
The possibilities are endless! What are your favorite things to blend into a green smoothie?