Growing up, I only heard massages spoken of as luxury services and sometimes even frowned upon as frivolous. I remember for my 20th birthday I decided to treat myself to a massage and facial and thought that was a huge deal. Over the past few years I've been experiencing increased general muscle tension, high levels of stress, and some repetitive stress injuries from working on the computer. Massage therapy has been the only thing that has made a real difference so far, so I'm definitely a firm believer now. I try to go at least once a month. I still haven't gotten to a maintenance point yet (each therapist shrieks and tells me how bad the knots are....ugh!) but eventually I will.
So today I feel obligated to share the benefits of massage therapy. As entrepreneurs, we deal with high levels of stress from the roller-coaster nature of our trade to the long hours we sit hunched at a computer. If you're like me, you'll finally look up from your laptop and realize it's 9pm and you haven't eaten and may not even know what day it is. But I digress...
Self-care is absolutely vital to living a healthy life, let alone running a successful business.
If you want to learn more about what massage therapy is and the different types, click here.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
- Increases blood flow
- Promotes relaxation
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves posture
- Improves circulation
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing
- Improves flexibility and range of motion
- Relieves headaches
- Strengthens the immune system by increasing white blood cells
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Increases alertness
- Reduce symptoms associated with PMS such as bloating and mood swings
- Improves sleep by affecting delta waves in the brain (those connected with deep sleep)
- Helps to manage depression and anxiety by lowering the stress hormone cortisol and increasing serotonin and dopamine
- Relieve symptoms associated with cancer treatment
Now let's look at some stats:
Do you get regular massages? What's your #1 reason for going?